Skip to main content

My Nigerian Partner

Tucson Weekly : Arts : My Nigerian Partner


PUBLISHED ON OCTOBER 11, 2007:

My Nigerian Partner

Actor Dean Cameron tells how he managed to scam a spam scammer

By JAMES REEL
Dean Cameron and Victor Isaac in The Nigerian Spam Scam Scam.
You get one almost every day: an e-mail from a stranger requesting an "urgent business relationship." The sender, a barrister or the widow or orphan of some deceased African strongman, needs help moving millions of dollars from a threatened bank account into the United States. A remarkably large percentage of it can be yours, if you open a U.S. account, put some of your own money in it and help facilitate the wire transfer.

In the immortal lyrics of Monty Python, "Spam, spam, spam, spam ..."

It's the inescapable "4-1-9" scam (named after the Nigerian statute that, ineffectively, outlawed it), a descendant of the good old "Spanish Prisoner" con. A few people fall for it and get bilked out of hundreds or thousands of dollars; one or two have even been murdered. Most of us just delete the messages ... day after day after day.

Not Dean Cameron. He wrote back and scammed the spammers.

Cameron, an actor and writer who has starred in a lot of movies and TV shows you probably haven't seen (Rockula, Ski School 1 and 2), was biding his time one day on the set of short-lived TV show Mister Sterling. Bored, he checked his e-mail. ("In the '70s, I would've been doing cocaine, but this is the new millennium," he says.) Yet again, there was Nigerian spam in his inbox. Yet again, he replied with his standard non sequitur message: "Great. Do you have any toast?"

Usually, for obvious reasons, that message gets no response. But this time, the spammer wrote back.

"He said, 'I'm so excited to hear back from you,' as if I'd written, 'Yes, I desperately want to help you!'" Cameron recalls.

Thus began a correspondence in which the spammer pretended to be Mrs. Miriam Abacha, widow of a wealthy Nigerian general, and Cameron pretended to be a lonely, mentally declining old millionaire in Florida. He wound up with 310 pages of correspondence, and even engaged in a few phone conversations--irresistible fodder for a play.

Cameron and fellow actor Victor Isaac (as the Nigerian) will present Cameron's The Nigerian Spam Scam Scam at Invisible Theatre next week, in a three-day run.

"I started screwing with these bad, scary guys, because I'm fascinated by these people," Cameron says. "The more I came to know about them, the more I wanted to learn."

And what did he learn along the way? "I found out that they were human," he says. "Once I called them, and there was one point where I could hear them walk by a group of kids playing, and it made me sad for a second. Here I am, a rich Westerner taking advantage of these poor people and making their life into a joke. But that sadness faded quickly, because I realized the person I was portraying was an older, senile person with a lot of money, and this guy was trying to take his fortune from him. These guys have taken hundreds of thousands of dollars from people like our grandparents. They prey on the weak. Oh, they were very nice, very good at their job; the guy talked a very good game, and he was very pushy, like a time-share salesman."

Ultimately, Cameron came clean--once he'd written the play. "I sent the guy a press package earlier this year, and he's not happy about it," he says. "I've invited him to see the play. I've said, 'Please come to the United States, and we can sit down with an attorney and somebody from the FBI, and we can work the copyright stuff out."'

No answer yet.

Cameron says he learned something about himself during his effort to scam a scammer.

"There are hundreds of other people like me who are scam-baiting," he says, "but most of them are rather mean--really, making fun of the scammers in a crude way. It's just cheap humor. In what I did, I think I retained my grace. A couple of people have said after this show, 'You're still respectful of them in a strange way.' I feel like I'm like that in real life, a nice guy who just wants to have a good time."

Well, maybe that good time has gotten out of hand.

"A friend of mine started corresponding with a scammer," he says, "and he was kind of gullible; he didn't believe it was a scam. So I took over as the scammer, and I scammed my own friend out of some money. So it's gone full circle: I have become a Nigerian scammer. Except in that case, I was a woman from Peru."

The Nigerian Spam Scam Scam7:30 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 18; 8 p.m., Friday and Saturday, Oct. 19 and 20Invisible Theatre, 1400 N. First Ave.$25882-9721

Popular posts from this blog

Theater worth catching. | www.azstarnet.com ®

Theater worth catching. Accent On stage Tucson, Arizona Published: 03.14.2008 http://www.azstarnet.com/ : "If you've watched HBO, you've likely seen Judy Gold. She's the tall comedian with the glasses who interviews moviegoers to fill airtime between shows. She also won an Emmy for her work on 'The Rosie O'Donnell Show.' She's very funny. And she's headed our way. Invisible Theatre brings Gold here to perform her solo off-Broadway show, '25 Questions for a Jewish Mother,' taken from Gold's book of the same name. It consists of interviews she conducted across the country with mothers of varying ages, ethnicities and occupations. She'll perform at 8 p.m. March 29 and 3 p.m. March 30 at The Berger Performing Arts Center, 1200 W. Speedway. There will be an interview with Gold in next Friday's Accent, but we wanted to alert you early in case you want to get tickets — we suspect this will be a hot one. It's written by Kate Moira Ry...
Talent shines in play about acting | Invisible Theatre : Talent shines in play about acting “Circle Mirror Transformation” is billed as a comedy, but it's also a heady drama about the limits of self discovery Posted Nov 5, 2011, 10:15 am Dave Irwin TucsonSentinel.com Written by Annie Baker, “Circle Mirror Transformation” won the 2010 Obie Award for Best New American Play and made a number of lists for top ten plays of 2009. It’s refreshingly unorthodox structure and setting - a rural classroom of actors playing non-actors who want to be actors - provides a meta-analysis on the nature of acting itself. It’s pure post-modern, but with a hint of quaint. It must be said up front that portraying an amateur actor ironically requires considerable acting skill. Fortunately, this production has a balanced, talented cast that doesn’t overwhelm the intimate Invisible Theatre space. Director Betsy Kruse Craig keeps a subtle hand on the proceedings, letting the action simmer nervous...

Pastime Players reflect many talents

Pastime Players reflect many talents DOCUMENTARY CAPTURES SPECIAL PERFORMERS M. Scot Skinner Skinner@azstarnet.com | Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 A fascinating documentary about the Pastime Players, a Tucson troupe that showcases the abilities of people with developmental disabilities, is one of 18 feature films selected for the 2010 Arizona International Film Festival. "Such Good Friends" goes behind the scenes with the inspiring ensemble, which took its name from the street within the Amphitheater school district, where the Pastime Players originated 25 years ago. Under the constant and energetic guidance of Susan Claassen, Gail Fitzhugh and other professionals from Tucson's Invisible Theatre, the players have rehearsed and performed at Catalina High Magnet School since 1990. You can see "Such Good Friends," a film by Claassen and Cyndee Wing, at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Crossroads theater on East Grant Road. Although the documentary was first screened at th...